Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Children's Picture E-Book Review: Ug The Little Stone Age Boy


Today's Children's Picture e-Book Review is Ug The Little Stone Age Boy, by Barry J. McDonald, for Ages 3-9.
My Ratings: 
Overall: 4.0 Stars
Cover: 5 Stars
Illustrations: 4 Stars
Story: 4 Stars


Bug is jealous and he plays a trick on Ug that gets Ug into trouble. Will he get caught? Will he say sorry?

This children's picture e-book has adorable illustrations, and I don't mind that the illustrator used the same backgrounds and just set the characters in (probably created on Adobe Illustrator, which provides that kind of flexibility). However, I do feel short-changed when he used the exact same illustrations on two pages, TWICE! That's what kept this book from a five star rating. The illustrations were excellent enough, but McDonald cheated a little. 

The plot is simple, and set to an uncomplicated verse, but when I read it aloud to my 4 and 7 year olds, we liked it the rhythm of the words and the story. My 4 year old especially loved the Mammoth and the Triceratops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment